Originally planned to release in 2016, the PlayStation Platinum wireless headset was pushed to 2017. Now we finally have a date, some details, and a trailer explaining the benefits of Sony’s new Premier headset for the PS4.
- First off, the really good news. You only have to wait a little under a month for them! January 12th is the new launch date and it will be available at all of your favorite retailers.
- Uncharted 4 will be the first non-PS VR game to support the headset. Naughty Dog was amazed by the 3D audio tech and they knew they needed it in their latest game. Some of the next games to make use of the tech will be MLB The Show 2017 and Days Gone. Double nice.
- Dual mics will provide noise-canceling greatness when streaming and chatting online.
- Compatible with PS VR for the ultimate 3D audio experience when in the world of VR via the included 3.5mm cable.
- Will work with the current headset companion app.
I was lucky enough to get some ‘ears-on’ with the Plantinum headset during PSX 2016and was blown away will playing Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. The game wasn’t designed for 3D audio but it STILL sounded incredible. I could tell a difference in the quality and I’m by no means an audiophile, brah! Plus the build quality is superior to the Gold wireless headset. Damn plastic panels always wanting to pop-off some people’s set.
The only thing that might make people hesitate on these is the price tag. They’re $159.99 new, so it’s quite the investment. Although if you’re in the market for a new headset next year, you might want to look at Sony’s newest addition to the family.